Why My Daughter Quit Competitive Soccer

Since I was a little girl, I always dreamed of having a cute little daughter.  I couldn't wait to dress her up in frilly things and take her to dance classes.  When she was old enough, she did dance for a couple of years, starting with a Mommy and Me class through our local Parks and Recreation Department.  After a couple of years she decided she wanted to try gymnastics, which lasted a year.  At  the age of 7 she started playing soccer through our local recreational league.  She had a blast and a couple of seasons later she tried out for the competitive team and made it.  We had gone through 2 years of competitive soccer when at the beginning of this year (which would have been her 3rd competitive year) we had a major blow to the team which most of the girls played together for two years already.  Their coach was stepping down to spend more time with his family and there was going to only be one U13 team instead of 2 (like there had been the last two years).  We were concerned she would be cut but ended up making it.  This new team formed and started practicing the beginning of February of this year together.  That's when I saw only 6 out of 16 girls were from her team and the other 10 were from the other team from last year.  There were a lot of parents wanting to be super involved and coach.  A decision was made to have the 2 parents who had the highest coaching license be official on the roster.

Two months of practice has gone by and they had their second scrimmage last Thursday.  On the car ride home, K told me she was done with soccer.  She teared up while opening her heart to me.  I asked many questions about why she was feeling this way-I had to make sure this wasn't just a quick decision on her part.  She confessed she had this "feeling" when she got on the field and it wasn't a good one.  That let me know she was serious and I then understood more where she was coming from.  She was losing her love for the game.  I probably will never know the exact reason for her decision but I assured her I support her 100% and would never force her to do something she didn't want to do.  It tore me apart when she thought I'd be disappointed she wanted to quit.  I made sure to shower her with extra love as she cried in my arms, I think partly because she was relieved and heartbroken that it was over.  The coach was called and my husband informed him of K's decision.  I know this wasn't easy for her and something she didn't take lightly.  I do hope that the coaches and team all understand and respect her decision as we have as her parents.

I am heartbroken that I won't be on the sidelines this year, traveling to various cities, always complaining about how busy we are.  I am heartbroken that she will lose friends over this decision and maybe receive some backlash from them as well.  I am heartbroken that her talent will go unnoticed now that she is not playing on the field.  Most of all, I am heartbroken because I feel that maybe my stress and anxiety of always trying to get her to where she needs to be at all times played a part in her decision.

I don't know what the future holds.  Maybe she just needs a break.  For now, though, she is hanging up her cleats.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We've hit the 7 year itch!

October Updates

Christmas Miracles Do Happen