Christmas Miracles Do Happen

Yesterday we got some great news!  My husband was offered a position with another company.  It was a huge load off his shoulders, as he felt he needed to make more money for our family.  I had a scheduled OB/GYN appointment out of town (I love my doctor, so I will travel 20 minutes to see him).  Since the appointment was so late in the day, I asked my husband if he wanted to go out to dinner after I was done so we could celebrate his new position.  He agreed and we loaded up the kids after he came home from work and headed to Tracy Kaiser.  They waited for me in the car.  As I finished up and went to get blood work done, he text me that he had to call AAA.  Apparently the battery was dead.  Ugh!  By the time I was done at the laboratory, I headed outside and saw a tow truck already there.  Our Suburban was being jumped but it would not work.

This tow truck driver quickly decided it was the alternator and was calling for another tow truck for us to take us home (so all 4 of us could fit).  However, we were informed it would be 2 hours until it could get here.  Mind you it was after 5:00 and RAINING!!  Thankfully there was a very small shopping center in quick walking distance so we could eat something while we waited for a new tow truck.  We took our time and enjoyed some L&L BBQ (not really a celebratory dinner, but we needed to get the kids fed).  After getting back to the car, the kids were able to play on their tablets and we waited and waited.  Finally after 7:00 pm a tow truck came.  Of course David had to go to the bathroom!  So, I quickly rushed him back to the restaurant so he could use the bathroom.

When I returned with David, Jeff told me that this 2nd tow truck was not able to help us because it didn't have room for our family in the cab.  {insert expletive here}  I could not believe it!  I had a total meltdown at that time.  I started to hyperventilate and I couldn't stop crying.  I never really had this bad of a panic attack.  It was absolutely frightening.  The kids were worried about me and I felt so stupid in the aftermath.  I needed to calm down.  Finally a 3rd tow truck came.  After the Suburban was hitched and ready to go, we finally were heading home.  The kids were calm and I didn't say anything on the ride home.  I was so emotionally drained-as silly as that is.  Being deserted like that with kids just freaked me out.

After we got home, I brought the kids inside and had them start showering.  Jeff was with the tow truck guy outside and when he came back in after our vehicle was unhitched, he said the guy asked if we wanted him to come back tomorrow to try to fix it for free.  He felt so bad we waited for that long and he knew the 1st tow truck guy should've done more.  I was shocked.  He didn't' have to offer this but my husband is not the handiest of men, so he doesn't turn down an offer like that.  We agreed that if he did show up, we would compensate him.

This morning the tow truck driver came back to our house ON HIS OWN TIME!  He just got off his shift and came over to drive Jeff to get a battery from Jiffy Lube (where the current one was under warranty).  And wouldn't you know it-the car friggin' started!!! I am so very thankful this was the only issue with it.  That man, who didn't know us at all, helped replace the battery too!  Who does that?  He insisted we didn't pay him a dime and he was just doing a good deed!  Jeff and I would not take no for an answer.  This man has a wife and kids, so Jeff gave him some cash and told him to use it to buy something for Christmas for his family.

There is so much to be thankful for this holiday season!  This is proof good people exist in the world. I am so thankful the situation wasn't worse and not more expensive than it was.  My family was safe the entire time.  And we were able to give back to this stranger.  Christmas miracles are real!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We've hit the 7 year itch!

October Updates